Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Prison Library Copy

So yesterday I went to the reading at Cooper Union. It was supposed to start at 6:30 pm. I arrived there at 5:30 and as usual, Chuck had already started signing books. The queue was long enough to go from the Great Hall (where the reading would take place), up the stairs and almost to the front door of the building. For the first time in my life I wished that this never ending line was the restrooms queue but... So I took CHOKE and the new edition of FIGHT CLUB out of my bag and stepped at the end of the line.

Wouldn't you?

It lasted forever. Chuck was cool, as usual. He signed everything people wanted signed. Shook all the hands he could. When it was my turn, I reminded him that two persons fainted last year during his NYC reading of his short story "Guts." I asked him whether he planned to do better this year. He said that since last year, 52 people had collapsed listening to this story. Signing my books, he said he was unsure on what he should read tonight. He asked me if I'd prefer "Guts" or a new story. I said that I'd prefer to hear a new one. But that probably a lot of people would love to hear "Guts."

He stamped one of my book and looked up at me. He said, We'll see. And he handed me my books. I thanked him and found a seat in the amphitheater. I checked out my books but couldn't find the stamp.

Chuck arrived on stage 20-30 minutes later. This guy is just made to be on stage behind a mic. He made a few jokes, told a couple of anecdotes. He asked people if they wanted to hear "Guts" or another story. A massive number of hands raised when he said "Guts." And so much for my influence over this guy...

Nobody fainted that night. Which was a big disappointment for Chuck. And for a lot of people, for sure. When he mentioned that, someone in the crowd cried, This is New York, man.

He asked people who had never attended a book reading before to raised their hands. Many did. Not most of the audience. But still, quite a lot. The audience looked just like what you see at a punkrock concert just before they let people in. OK, maybe those kids were cleaner. And sober. And people tend not to attend punkrock concerts with arms full of first edition books. But you get the idea.

So Chuck read "Guts" and nobody fainted. He estimated that he was ahead in his book signing and he offered to maybe read a second short story. Loud cheer.

This short story, "Hot Potting" was quite long and good but not as disgusting as "Guts."

After that, it was time for Q&A. Chuck opened a box on stage, and pulled out a couple of bloody, severed limbs that he threw away at the persons before they ask their questions. In all, there were maybe 10 or so questions and each time a severed hand, leg or arm would fly across the vast room more or less accurately towards the lucky chosen one. Sometimes, that person had to ask their question while chasing their bloody gift that was rolling down the aisle to the stage.

They were not real limbs, of course. Some sort of Styrofoam stuff. With a yellow/white bone sticking out and what looked like flesh and blood.

Anyway, that was a great night. I think that Chuck shouldn't warn people so much about that story. That is, if he wants some of them to faint. He should keep his great anecdotes about past violent reactions to this story for AFTER the reading.

On the way out I checked my book again for that stamp and here it was: "PRISON LIBRARY COPY."
-----
Spent today at the Alliance Francaise on 64th St. Looking for interesting graphic novels. Hope everything will be fine tomorrow. Already got about 10 interesting Graphic Novels. I don't know yet if I'll get paid for the research or just for the translation.


From your informer in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn.
>>end of transmission<<


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home