Wednesday, December 08, 2004

what happens at the KGB stays at the KGB

This has been a long day. It started yesterday (Tuesday). Now, it's 11:43 on Wednesday morning and I am about to get some sleep. At last. Tuesday I went to take the GRE test at 6 pm at One Pen Plaza. This is by far the less glorious test I ever had to take. I don't know how I did, but I ran out of time on the Issue and Argument essays. Which is surprising because if you just pick up anybody at the counter of any bar of the world, they will be able to do this so-called "essays." If you have no idea about what the GRE test is like: to get your application for a graduate school in the U.S. you have to prove that you are able to discuss such a pertinent topics as, "Such nonmainstream fields as fortune telling and astrology are a good thing in that they help some people cope with their issues." Or, "There are twice as many left-handed successful businessmen as there are left-handed people in the general population. Therefore, if you're left-handed, you should go into business, and if you're a right-handed businessman, you should learn from left-handed businessmen." I am not kidding you guys, that really was the essays I had to write. Exciting uh?

Then I went on with the verbal test and then the mathematics. Then there was the extra test that only exists for statisctics purpose and I got verbal again. Which sucked because I had to do my best again. There is no way I can know which of the verbal test will be used for statistics purpose and which one will be my score.

I got 620 on verbal. Not too bad, but no reason to paint it green and have it expose at the Natural History either. (I'm translating literally a French expression here, so for your non-French speaking of you, when I say "it" I don't mean the score. What "it" actually stands for is up to your educated guess.) As far as mathematics is concernet, I scored 490 which sucks but, hey, I use to have 2/20 in high school, so give the man some credits.

Then I met Raph at a Japanese restaurant near St. Mark's book shop. We had two pichet of beer and then, around 1 am we went to the KGB where we had more beer. And then I look at my watch and it tells me it's 9:30 am and I am suppose to work about 7 hours later so I tell Raph that he can keep talking to the lady but I think I had enough and I'm gonna call it a night. And then it's 10 am and the KGB door slams shut behind us and we are in the streets of East Village, me getting some cash from an ATM to get us something to eat, and it's noisy outside and there's so much light and so many people going God knows where to do God knows what.

When we arrived home I called my boss and left a message on the restaurant answering machine, basically saying that I'm just back from a long night that looked like an endless bottle of beer and maybe he should try and find someone to take my shift because letting me talk to customers and handling breakable stuff is not going to be his brightest idea of the month.

And now it's noon and this entry is probably going to look awful tomorrow (not the first one) and need a lot of editing (idem).

1 Comments:

Blogger mar said...

Cecyl my friend!!

Hi, i am very glad cause i can read you again, that´s great.
Some days are so normals, but the beatiful stuff it is that we can find beauty in just little things like our hands in romance with a beer!!

Hugs!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home