Monday, October 11, 2004

Et dans le vide immense elle viendra déposer une effluve d’absence sur nos corps écorchés

Haven't written a word here for a while. Lot of shit happened and I didn't want to bore my "gentle reader." Just the best & worst:

FRIDAY: oh, Friday... I spent Friday looking for a job. At the end of the day, I was in downtown West side where I learnt the hard way that the credit card of my French bank account had been cancelled. Hellooo guys, I'm in fucking New York where you are NOT sending me any bank statement or any information, and where I can't get any information with my card. Helloooo guys who made me pay when I tried to get information on MY account from your website! So some fat ass banker let me draw too much money without giving me any warning that I had gone over my limit, not even a fucking email or a phone call to my mother in France. And then, he waited a little more until I reached a given point when he can just cancel the whole card. Of course I need to apply for a new card, of course I have to pay for this "service," and of course it's going to take at least two weeks. Try to make a lazy-ass banker dig that when you're abroad and in a tight situation, your credit card is something that shouldn't be fucked with cause it's the only thing that can truly save your life.

And I have worked 11 months in a bank, so I feel authorized to insult bankers. I know what I'm talking about. I've been amongst them. And ran away.

SATURDAY: Well, Saturday evening I can tell you exactly how long it took me to go from a "You can't bring me down" mood to a "Just shoot me" mood. It took 2 minutes and 19 seconds.

I was downloading music. When you travel and don't have the option to bring along all your CDs, there's a point when you say, OK, let's just start all over again. So band after band you start to recreate the discography you left behind. The essential. The albums you just can't imagine living without. Saturday is when I reached "Les Têtes Raides." That's when I made the mistake of listening what I had downloaded without thinking first. And what was bound to happen happened, the stereo started playing "Oublie cette chanson." And exactly 2 minutes and 19 seconds later, I badly needed a cigarette. Quick. A rush of memories so strong you can feel and smell like it all happened yesterday. I hadn't thought about this girl in such a long time. Suddenly I remembered so many details. Suddenly it was like I was still loving her. Like I had just buried everything deep inside and the song just made it all come back up. Suddenly I still missed her so much and wanted to understand what happened. Why she dumped me without an explanation. 2 minutes and 19 seconds later, I'm shaking and I need a cigarette and I try to understand what just happened. Oublie cette chanson. 2 min. 19 sec. Music can be dangerous.

Later that night, one of my roommate locked himself out of his room. It happened to my other roommate last time, and I had managed to open his door with an old credit card. But this time, we had to pick the lock and I learnt a new skill, even though I'm not sure I should mention it on my resume...

SUNDAY: Sunday night I went to Soho Billiards with Diana and ... well ... ah ... I lost 2 games... Then we went to a bar across the street and we had a couple of drinks and played hangman and I won.

Oublie cette chanson

Voilà cette chanson
Qu’on pourra caresser
Car c’est une chanson
Faite pour s’oublier
Un morceau de carton
Ou de
verre élimé
Une chanson qui dit tout
Mais surtout rien du tout.

Car c’est à s’y méprendre
Quand on la voit passer,
Semant ses vers d’ambre,
Ses mélodies glacées
Dites-lui que frémir
Sur le sel d’un baiser
La chanson dira tout
Mais surtout rien du tout
On aura beau presser
Les fruits rouges ou rosés
Elle mentira les siens
La chanson qui dit rien
Portée par le silence
Elle viendra se poser
Là où se balancent
Les étoiles écorchées

La vile chanson
Qui ne dit pas son nom
Qui raconte tout bas
Ce qu’elle ne dira pas

Oublie cette chanson
Qui ne fait que passer
Car c’est une chanson
Faite pour s’oublier

La voilà sans raison
Glisser sur l’oreiller
Belle comme une chanson
Qu’il faudra oublier
En robe de chiffon
Ou d’hiver défroissé
Elle nous dira tout sur tout
Mais surtout rien du tout
Car c’est à s’y méprendre
Quand vient à couler
Sur son aile tendre
Nos désirs désirés
Dites-lui que maudire
Ses notes aiguisées
Ce refrain qui dit tout sur tout
Mais rien du tout

T’auras beau traverser
Les cercles embrasés
Elle ne nous dira rien
Cette chanson a du chien
Et dans le vide immense
Elle viendra déposer
Une effluve d’absence
Sur nos corps écorchés

La vilaine chanson
Qui ne dit pas son nom
Qui raconte tout bas
Ce qu’elle ne dira pas

Oublie cette chanson
Qui n’a fait que passer
Car c’est une chanson
Faite pour s’oublier


(LES TETES RAIDES. Album: Chamboultou. 1998)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home