Monday, October 04, 2004

It never rains...

The woman from the agency, a couple of days ago she calls me back. She says, "Please do not contact the French publishers yet." She says, "Put everything on hold." In her brief message she says that she'll contact me again soon. That she's negociating with her boss for me, but that they might actually hire me for the translation part of the project only. No more research. Which I should say kinda sucks beyond limits because it cuts off the longest part of my work in the first place. And also because even if a research on graphic novels is not gonna require a lot of aspirin, that's still research. The Frontier. Whatever that means.

It's now official, I'm a the legitimate owner of a Brooklyn Public Library card!!! The branch is located a couple of blocks away from my place and is basically all magazines and cheap thrillers and romances. But you can reserve a book from other branches and that sounds terribly good.

3 plombes du mat. It's either I'm working on my roommate's paper due for Tuesday. Or... well, updating this blog. Earlier tonight there was a "pure" photo to be shot just under my window, with a fireman guiding a long fire truck backing up out of a narrow one way street. But by the time I talked the camera into stopping hiding for St. Paul's sake (why always the Christ, hum? poor guy must be overbooked so give him a break) it was too late and the perfect picture was gone.

The shit you can put up with just not to do someone else's paper. Once again it's on a short story. And once again it's a "black" short story. At the Dekalb branch, they call those books: BLACK INTEREST.

Whatever that means...

The short stories in my roommate's school book, they are not bad. I just don't get the reason why black/Hispanic people should only be taught about 19th century slavery for their History class, and read average short stories (but written by/for black/Hispanic people)? There's a kind of obvious benevolence in this which in my opinion hides something else.

At the Dekalb Public Library branch, you have looooots of BLACK INTEREST. Cheap stuff about strong black female characters raising their kids. But you don't have Booker T. Washington's biography. You don't see Du Bois, on the shelves. No need to look for H. D. Thoreau's book on Civil Disobedience. Yeah, well, Thoreau was not black... It's been a long day and I'm not sure about the point I wanted to make. Except that I was upset to see these little tags "Black Interest." How many Black fiction writers can an average student in literature name?

Maybe what upset me so much is the community innuendo. As if Black people couldn't have any interest in literature (or culture in general) other than when it deals with their culture. And preferably their past culture or romance. Always the same old shit about keeping races separated. Now we can teach the history of slavery to Black people. It's harmless. The same reason you'll never be alive when they'll release documents regarding J.F.K's death.

"They"? "J.F.K"? pssss.... I should stop writing my blog like I'm writing down notes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home