Wednesday, September 07, 2005

$ $ $

I paid for the Internet. My roommate couldn't.

$105 to install a new connection. Now we are on cable. Everything is on cable at home now. Except maybe the microwave. I'm not even sure.

The Internet is not the problem.

The problem is that my old CRT monitor is dying. It started just two days after our connection came back. Everything that should be white is grayish. Anything that is not white goes from black to pitch black.

I can tweak the controls, of course. And then everything is drown in a dazzling white.

Which sucks because I had this project of posting tons of pictures. On my computer these days, all pictures are black.

For some reason, there's something going on with the scanner too. I'm not sure what yet. It could be anything from the USB cable to something inside the computer. Or inside the scanner.

Which clearly means that I need a new computer. I like to fix things, but there's a limit. Also, I'm pretty confident I'd love not to have the MP3 player pause every time I open or close a stupid browser. So I check for computers on the web at school. First, you think any computer will do. Which is true. Any computer will be better than the one I have now. The year is 2005 and I still haven't broken the wall of 1 GHz CPU speed. But then you start to customize it, add more memory and this and that. And the next thing you know, the desktop you wanna buy flirts with a $1,000. No good.

Really, that's not even close to reasonable.

Also I really need a laptop. I go working on a translation every day in Bryant Park, and working on paper is not fun anymore.

So I need a desktop at home. But also a laptop. Because I love to open computers and change stuffs inside, and you can't really do that with a laptop.

So I need money.

So I'm working 3 jobs. And I go to school too. The jobs, they don't pay well of course. That's why I need all three of them. Which is a huge lost of time. And a pain in the ass.

One of them, I won't even tell my family about it. Your family sent you to College, they were with you when you turned down good job offers in France because you wanted to go to NYC, then the next thing you know, you're a graduate doing shitty jobs for a shitty pay. And still, you don't want to go back home. That's the kind of things that make mothers all over the world say stuffs like: "I gave you life, I can take it back."

The next thing you know, you're almost 30.

Also, I want to move out. I'd love to stay in Brooklyn. I don't mind staying in Bed-Stuy. But I need to find a clean place with white walls and wooden floor. Or something like that. No carpet, no dog-roommate. More room. More furniture. Less roommates, also.

It's as close to settle down as I can get.

So I need money. Basically. You know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home