Friday, December 23, 2005

Rockefeller


Went to the Rockefeller today. It wasn't planned. Just thought I'd go and see that tree after I showed up at school for the first time of the week only to find a closed door. Buying a ticket took about 3 minutes, and that's because the girl behind the desk looked cute. I think that no more than 10 minutes passed between the moment I bought the ticket and the moment I was in the elevator, looking up through the glass ceiling as the elevator work its way up the sixty and some stories to the observation deck. It was surprisingly warm up there. You have access to three floors. The first two have tall glass walls to protect people with suicidal tendencies or "special needs" from themselves. At first glance, it looks better than the curved prison-like bars at the Empire State, but then you want to take pictures and you wonder what will come out best: the landscape or the wonderful map of fingerprints. Somehow, you can't really put the Chrysler nicely in a picture as it's hiding behind the ugly Metlife thing some people call a building. On the top floor, there are no more glass walls. But then, if you jump from there it's only one floor. The good thing is you can pretend there is nothing below but the void. It's still a good jumping spot. Soon enough, someone is going to notice that too and go for the big jump, and then they'll put curved prison-like bars behind the tall glass walls with electric barbed wire everywhere. I love old pictures of the Empire before they put the bars. When the only thing between you and the void was your common sense and a stone wall no higher than your waist. I left before sunset. The light was already strange. Ordinarily, I would have waited, but that was a long week with the MTA on strike and all, and I was already half-asleep. I put more pics online, just follow the link.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nabonidus said...

Damn, you weren't kidding about that drab chunk of building sitting there
blocking the view. The Metlife building.I actually was surprised at how...uninspired that building is.Whoever designed that building didn't give a shit, and it shows.
Otherwise it was beautiful.
I saw what you were talking about with the little walls to block the jumpers. :)
I started wondering if anyone that ever made it to jump changed their minds after it was too late. Imagine jumping,and you're thinking "Wow, this is amazing!" as you're going down.Because it would be pretty neat, except then you regret what was going to happen, the big splat.:)

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home