Monday, October 18, 2004

SeX AnD ViOLeNcE - pArT 2

Wanted to go to Columbia to get some info about PhD admissions and finally fell asleep before the end of the first song of Massive Attack's Mezzanine album. Couldn't sleep till 5 this morning and then had to go to this job interview at noon.

So laundry it will be tonight. Amen. And working tomorrow. This Monday feels more and more like a Sunday.

Ok, the "sex and violence" part before I forget again.

Sex: So we have this party coming at the restaurant the other night. About forty people.

Amongst them, this blonde, vegetarian American girl who thought she must be beautiful since she had everything the magazines told her she should have. Blonde hair, blue eyes, tall, not fat. She believes so much she is the "must" that she can't tell the difference when a waiter is being professional and when someone is picking her up. Twice I ask her if she needs anything, and twice she looks at me saying nothing. Ok, Sugar, but don't expect a fast service when you gonna ask me for something later. Also I had noticed that she paid a lot of attention to my coworker, T. T. is a cute boy. Not magazine perfect, but very cute, with a personality, you know. And he's cool too. And he's also a model. So the girl is all over him while the poor bastard is running everywhere because it's only him, the cook and me against 40 booze-thirsty young people. I thought it was funny to watch her tease him, especially because I know he has a girl and he loves her. So I'm behind the bar, cleaning the counter, and I keep her waiting 2 minutes at the corner of the bar before enquiring how I could possibly help her aside from euthanasia. Once again, she has this "I'm too awesome for you" look and nodding her head towards my buddy she says, "T." I say, "Oh..." and turn around before she can see my bright smile. Later, I hear them talking and I hear him say, "Yes, I DID tell you I have a girlfriend." Later I see the girl leave. I ask T. if she told him goodbye. He asks, "Why, she left?" I tell him that she did and that the way she opened the door and walked out, I knew she ignored him. He was disgusted by her attitude. "We still could have been friend", he said. When he told her he had a girlfriend, she said something like, "So what?"

Poor bitch. Reading this, I realize it must sounds like I'm jealous that she had no interest in me, which is not true. What I told her, I told it to 40 other people, male and female, and they weren't erotomaniac (I'm not sure of the exact French/English translation. Basically, an erotomaniac is someone who is convinced that everybody sexually desire them).

Now the violence part. To those who keep saying that violence is ALWAYS useless, this is an example that there are things that cannot be solved without it.

All the people at that party were in Med school or MBA. So we can safely assume that for the majority of them their IQ number had at least 2 digits. Now, a theorem: All bar counters have one or two ends that can be used as exit by the staff. Counters can have more exits, but it seldom happens.

So for some reason, this guy in a red jacket has decided to block one of these exit for the whole night. And no matter how many dozen times I touched his shoulder and said excuse me, it was like he was discovering the 2-end-counter theorem for the first time in his life. After 30 times, I was kind of piss at this guy. I didn't do it on purpose, I swear it was a true accident. But at one point ran into him and spilled his glass of red wine on his hand and jacket. He was not at the counter end this time, but he was still in a place where he shouldn't have been, blocking the entry to the kitchen, and I arrived full speed and when I saw him because of the bend, it was too late.

After that, this guy, he never was in my way again. And every time he was passing by me, he was saying, excuse me. What a difference, compared to the guy in the middle of the way whose vocabulary seemed to be rich of only one word when he was talking to you: "Refill."

Do I sound like those bitter waiters always complaining about their customers? And I'm not a week old in the industry... but hey, I don't have a waiter pride. It's just that mommy taught me to be polite when addressing people, and for some reason I expected that everybody was taught the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheinara said...

No, you don't sound like just another waiter groaning about his job. Trust me. Waiting on people in any way, shape, or form is...stressful at the least. Expecially when you're short-staffed.

Do you actually use your yahoo! messanger, or do you have that up for looks? :)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home